THE TREASURY OF THE FRANCISCAN MONASTERY
The Treasury of the Franciscan Monastery next to the sacristy exhibits valuable examples of sacred art: the large Romanesque painted crucifix from the 12th century, ...
The Monastery of St. Francis of Assisi in Zadar is is held by the Franciscan Province of Saint Jerome.
The monastery, along with a church of the same name, was built around 1221. It was consecrated on October 12, 1282 by bishop Lovro Periandar. Throughout the centuries of its history the monastery was the focal point of religious life in the city of Zadar. It was also home to the Franciscan school, precursor to today's University of Zadar. It had rich picture gallery as well as a collection of codexes and parchments. In this monastery Saint Jakov of Zadar was first ordained.
Although it's the oldest Gothic church in Dalmatia, the interior of the St. Francis Church has a number of Renaissance features such as a lovely chapel of St. Anthony, which contains a 15th-century wooden crucifix. Behind the main altar dating from 1672 lies what was once a shrine and inside choir seats richly decorated with fretwrok in gothic style from 1394 by Giacomo da Borgo Sansepolcro. In the sacristy a memorial tablet commemorates the seminal event in Zadar's history - the 1358 Zadar treaty under which Venice relinquished its rights to Dalmatia in favour of the Croatian-Hungarian king, Ludovic.
The Treasury of the Franciscan Monastery next to the sacristy exhibits valuable examples ofsacred art: the large Romanesque painted crucifix from the 12th century, the painting of the Dead Christ - the work of Jacopo da Ponte Bassano, the large Renaissance crucifix from the 15th century, the ancient liturgical vessels, precious illuminated codices and corals, documents, incunabula etc. The painted Ugljan polyptych from the 15th century, attributed to Ivan Petrov from Milan, is without any doubt the finest and the most representative example of the entire Gothic painting in Croatia.
South from the church there is also a beautiful Renaissance cloister built in 1556.
ENTRANCE FOR THE TREASURY AND MONASTERY:
Groups and individual tourists: 15KN or 2 €
Children and students: 5 KN or 1 €
Small children: free
Opening hours: 09:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Tel.: +385 (0)23 250 468
Fax: +385 (0)23 254 349